It was sold in November 2015, together with the surrounding area, to three firms already present with their activities in the industrial area, which deal with port logistics, metal carpentry and plant building.
The "Giuseppe Volpi" plant consists of two production sections (called 2 and 3) of 70 MW each. The plant is divided into the following areas: cooling towers, coal parks, the power station, the production island (engine room, boiler and chimney), the oil tank or water accumulation facility, the quay, warehouses , offices, car parks, civic buildings and canteen.
Two of the three buyers will develop new industrial activities on the site, while the third one , also through related companies, will expand the logistics capabilities it already carries out in the vicinity of the area. Investments associated with these initiatives will determine important economic and employment effects for the benefit of the area of Porto Marghera, both in the implementation phase, and in that of operations regarding new industrial activities.
Built in 1926, renovated in the 50s after the War, the plant was in operation until 2012 and then progressively restricted its energy production. After 2013 it was never put into operation again.
Marghera is a piece of Italy’s industrial history and the plant owes its name to one of the main personalities that in the 20s promoted the construction of a port and industrial area for Venice. The growing environmental awareness is now pushing the Marghera area to change and even change its characteristics. Once considered a symbol of a pollutant development, not respectful of the territory and its inhabitants, today it is looking for a path towards a new sustainable future for the area that can protect the environment and preserve employment.