The plant consists of the new combined cycle (Ti6), two simple cycle gas turbine (TI53 and Ti52), and the TI41 group, totalling an installed capacity of 1340 MW. All the production groups only use natural gas.
The TI41 group is authorised to operate up to 1000 hours/year only upon explicit request by the network operator to ensure the continuity of the electricity service.
The area of the plant which is subject to the sale and redevolpment process is that of the areas ancillary to the TI41 group (eastern and western areas of the heavy fuel oil tanks andcorresponding service landing stage) and it was included in the futur-e program in 2015.
Only the TI41 group will be decommissioned, as provided for by AIA, and only when it will no longer be considered essential to ensure a secure electricity supply. The remaining part of the Termini plant will continue its regular operations under the current existing authorisations.
The plant has experienced over the years several extensions and changes that led to the current configuration, in which the old original units have been dismissed and others have been added.
The city's history has seen a succession of Greeks and Romans, Normans, Byzantines and Arabs, the reigns of the Swabians, Angevin and Aragonese, Spanish and Bourbon rule.
The many churches and villas, stairways and towers, villages and archaeological sites narrate a story to the visitor that involves the urban area and the surrounding area along a path that runs through the centuries.
Agriculture, fishing and industry are the faces of the local economy. In addition to the typical products of crops of the province of Palermo, among which citrus fruits, wines and olives stand out, Termini Imerese also relies on the age-old fishing tradition that is greatly connected to popular everyday life, to the point tht it has been portrayed over the centuries in paintings, bas-reliefs and funerary monuments.
On the other hand, the industrial development is connected with the car industry, represented in the city by the former Fiat factories, opened in 1970, with new activities now being launched after they were closed down in 2011.